PLD Buyout

I think QB will need to stay at the wing for another season, unless their is an injury to one of the other centers. There are already 3 centers, so one of them would need to move to the wing to make room for QB. So, I think step #1 is to get PLD's overall performance up to where it needs to be. Worry about getting QB time at center after that happens.

My biggest worry is that we keep QB at wing for too long to the point where he has trouble making the transition to center in the NHL. Granted, players are typically able to make the switch between positions but usually in short stints.

I agree either PLD or Byfield likely need to play wing, at least until Kopi retires, but I feel we should prioritize Byfield as he is more likely to play a more significant role in our future success.

I was a big fan of PLD's exit interview. He came off as humble, taking ownership and committed to put in the work to improve. What I did not like, however, was his insistence that he is a center. Money and contract aside, I believe he makes a better wing currently and would pair well on a line with Kopitar (who potentially also could help him build his 2-way game).

If kept at center, and we bring Arvy back, I hope we pair them up on a line and start to gauge other options during the season with the Danault line which proved less effective than desired during the playoffs. Danault could use some size on one of his wings.

I was a big fan of PLD's exit interview. He came off as humble, taking ownership and committed to put in the work to improve. What I did not like, however, was his insistence that he is a center. Money and contract aside, I believe he makes a better wing currently and would pair well on a line with Kopitar (who potentially also could help him build his 2-way game).

I think PLD comes across as a good guy and I hope he can get his game together in the summer and kick ass next year, because well, we really need him to. The time to practice, work on his defensive game if the Kings keep pushing that, hopefully gel with some line, be over the moving to Manhattan Beach or wherever they all live thing -- should help.

Just read Baxter's article on Blake and The State of the Kings.

I think I'm gonna hurl.

So...Rob's masterplan is to build a team around PLD? What the actual f*ck?

Regarding PLD's lack of production this season, Blake said the solution lies with the team, not the player:

“We need to make him better. He’s had a consistent performance over his career and deviated from that this year. So it’s up to us as a staff...coaches and management...to help him become more productive to us.”

That's it...I'm blowing chunks. What a f*ckin joke.

Until major changes are made, I'm not giving AEG my hard-earned money. They can pound dirt. And stick their $22.00 beers where the sun don't shine.

If that p****d you off, you’re definitely not gonna like this from Hockey News

That's the first time I heard of Roy being floated at the deadline. The trade didn't happen so who knows what version was what, especially since the Boston media has been trying to trade Ullmark for years. That said had Blake pulled off Roy for Ullmark, I would have been a big fan.

With the PLD buyout unlikely, and barring a miracle trade, my next concern is off-loading Gavrikov this summer. He will have value. Most importantly, he is overpaid as it is and Kings cannot afford to pay him north of 6M to be on the second pair. Just think what Clarke is going to command in the not-that-distant future.

Don’t care about the stick and size lost with Gavrikov. Cannot afford this many bloated contracts and his is only going to get worse. If Blake is going to shell that kind of money out, make it worth it and trade for Chychrun.

With the PLD buyout unlikely, and barring a miracle trade, my next concern is off-loading Gavrikov this summer. He will have value. Most importantly, he is overpaid as it is and Kings cannot afford to pay him north of 6M to be on the second pair. Just think what Clarke is going to command in the not-that-distant future.

Don’t care about the stick and size lost with Gavrikov. Cannot afford this many bloated contracts and his is only going to get worse. If Blake is going to shell that kind of money out, make it worth it and trade for Chychrun.

Yeah, was really hoping that we coulda got Chychrun 2 yrs ago. Hindsight at this point, but I and many others have stated that prospects have died on the vine.

Add to that we are paying 2 plus mil of provorov's salary next yr also makes gavis contract even more expensive.

if we would have bought out PLD, next yrs penalties would have been ovr 4m. (Richards, Provorov thn PLD)

If not at the draft, then at the deadline. As someone else mentioned, Walker got a 1st this yr.

Well, I'm not liking it because the article is idiotic. Every single team that made the playoffs and didn't win the cup and made costly moves at the deadline made the wrong decision. Pure genius.

While I can agree on the unfairness of armchairing a battle after the dust settles, I found the article to be a pretty accurate portrayal of the Kings status vis-à-vis asset development and management’s assessment of the team’s progress. It’s difficult to argue, in my opinion, that Blake & Co are steering the team on an upward trajectory. I’ve written on this before in other posts, so I won’t ré-litigate my position here, except to say that ownership, in staying the course with Blake, are now pot-committed. They have no choice but to see this through.

It may be so that under a new system, something not as passive as the 1-3-1, something closer to how the Canucks play, players like PLD will thrive. We’ll have to see what transpires

Yeah, was really hoping that we coulda got Chychrun 2 yrs ago. Hindsight at this point, but I and many others have stated that prospects have died on the vine.

Add to that we are paying 2 plus mil of provorov's salary next yr also makes gavis contract even more expensive.

if we would have bought out PLD, next yrs penalties would have been ovr 4m. (Richards, Provorov thn PLD)

If not at the draft, then at the deadline. As someone else mentioned, Walker got a 1st this yr.
Maybe there’s an avenue to work a Chychrun trade with the OTT GM that there wasn’t with AZ. One can hope. Don’t know if it fell apart because Blake was trying to shoehorn in Petersen in that deal or whether he really was being yanked around.

If PLD plays a 2.5M game then the buyout is worth the penalties. With no buyout, this team needs to load him with two of Kempe, Byfield, Fiala and make it a scoring line and let the them play creative. I’d say keep Byfield with Kopi. Point being, have to rework the approach to the game around PLD. Have to have a coach onboard with that. It’s ridiculous, but it’s the only solution if you keep him.

He only has one year left on his contract. Pretty sure what Gavi gets paid next year is not going to have any impact on what they'll be able to afford Clarke when he becomes an RFA.

He only has one year left on his contract. Pretty sure what Gavi gets paid next year is not going to have any impact on what they'll be able to afford Clarke when he becomes an RFA.
Not talking about next year, talking about the following years provided they sign and extend him, which is what I don’t want to see.

Based on what chycrun actually pulled in trade and what Blake got Gavi and korpi for I'd say chyc was never Blake's target. Don't underestimate the goalie side of the equation, I really think Blake wants that solved for this team more than anything. As for a left D upgrade, well it's gonna cost more than Gavrikov so I don't know how that works

Based on what chycrun actually pulled in trade and what Blake got Gavi and korpi for I'd say chyc was never Blake's target. Don't underestimate the goalie side of the equation, I really think Blake wants that solved for this team more than anything. As for a left D upgrade, well it's gonna cost more than Gavrikov so I don't know how that works
You can upgrade the Left D mobility and puck movement simply by moving on from Gavrikov.

Fact is that the future has been mortgaged, and the future is sooner than we expected. It's time for a first class and full on rebuild. For the first time ever I support trading Kopi and Doughty to teams that will have a chance to win the cup. It's not going to be in LA any time soon.

Fact is that the future has been mortgaged, and the future is sooner than we expected. It's time for a first class and full on rebuild. For the first time ever I support trading Kopi and Doughty to teams that will have a chance to win the cup. It's not going to be in LA any time soon.
I am right there with you. This should have started with moving Roy and Arvy at the deadline for pics/parts.

Problem is, the Management Team is selling Ownership on this idea that this team can win now.

Luc / Blake have screwed this franchise over. Even if they find a way to get a team to make it past the first round next year. The foreseeable future is not bright for this team.

Perhaps we could pull off a trade with Ottawa that bring Chychrun to LA in exchange for Gavrikov. I'm sure we would have to retain salary to balance it out, or throw in a sweetener, but Ottawa was looking to trade Chychrun last season and Gavrikov offers several strengths which they are lacking in the D zone today.

tobiasfunke-davicross.gif

Luc / Blake have screwed this franchise over. Even if they find a way to get a team to make it past the first round next year. The foreseeable future is not bright for this team.

I firmly believe they are both clowns in way over their heads.

That Chychrun situation felt like AZ waited too long and had to take what it got from OTT.

Salary wise there are many players making around what Gavi does, including 6M+ who could play alongside Drew and let Mikey drop to the second pair and support Clarke. Assets to trade wise not sure what it’ll take.

Back
Top Bottom