***Playoffs Rd 1 GAME 2 GDT LA Kings @ Edmonton Oilers 4/24/22 7:00pm on TBS, max, & BSW***

Interesting (and worrisome) tidbit. Starting with game 5 of the 2022 series, the Kings have not beaten the Oilers in regulation in the playoffs (a span of 11 games, including last night). Their four wins in that span have all come in OT. Yes, a win is a win regardless of how it happens, but I don't see the Kings winning three more OT games this series. They're going to have to win games in regulation if they want to advance.

Gavrikov was singularly responsible for the lone PP goal by the Oilers. Roy took a delay of game penalty at the end of the period where the Oilers were dominating the Kings and already erased the Kings 2 goal lead. If the Oilers score on that PP the game is probably over. There’s mistakes and there’s potential game/series defining mental errors. They have to be better.

This Kings team is not good enough to win this series without eliminating the self-inflicted poor decisions.
The delay of game appeared to be off a backhand attempt to shovel the puck behind the net to his partner on a rolling puck. Hard to hold that one against Roy. Truth is, every player on the ice made at least one mistake last night, some of which were definitely move visible and critical than others but none were perfect. Being hyper critical of one player does not make sense.

Being hyper critical of one player does not make sense.
I agree with you. Now let’s apply that to PL Dubois.

Gavrikov and Roy will be fine. They’re smart and responsible defenders. All I ask is to cut down on the big mistakes in game 3 and beyond.

Gavrikov and Roy were better in Game 2 but they still weren’t good. I’ve never seen Roy bobble more pucks in clearing attempts than he has in the last two games. Gavrikov is just consistently a step behind. I’m sure the two things are connected.

It was great to see Hiller/Yawney break up the d-pairs late in the game.

Kings have a lot of little things to clean up if they want to win Game 3. But can you imagine what’ll happen if they do…
Agree, I was going to comment this because of the mild debate that was transpiring about Roy and Gavrikovs performance vs salaries(or potential payday for Roy). Neither of these dudes looked sharp in game 1(but no one else did either).. but they were both making some critical errors in game 2. Englund of course had his usual mental and physical gaffs, while Spence continues to look woefully undersized, without any sort of dynamic talent to balance out his size deficit. That aside, Gavy and Roy.. woof!

Agree, I was going to comment this because of the mild debate that was transpiring about Roy and Gavrikovs performance vs salaries(or potential payday for Roy). Neither of these dudes looked sharp in game 1(but no one else did either).. but they were both making some critical errors in game 2. Englund of course had his usual mental and physical gaffs, while Spence continues to look woefully undersized, without any sort of dynamic talent to balance out his size deficit. That aside, Gavy and Roy.. woof!
I think these are fair assessments of Roy and Gavrikov so far in the series. Roy was very steady all year and has not played like himself in the first two games. Gavrikov is having trouble with the speed.
Both have to be better for the Kings to win the series.
Re Spence & Englund, both are going to struggle in this playoff series. Both have some attributes but their shortcomings are glaring. Size with Spence, mobility with Englund. Spence just doesn’t have enough, which became clear throughout the year.
Moverare is solid enough, but isn’t an option due to his lack of speed.
This is what they have. Roy & Gavy have to step up a bit, and Spence & Englund need to find a way to not hurt the team. The defense isn’t terribly deep on this team, and that will probably change reasonably soon. But for now, these four guys have to play better.

Roy might be feeling some pressure with the contract, and he’s got a newborn. Lots going on for him. He’s always been consistent so I’m hopeful he can bounce back at home.

This series is really unpredictable. My question going in was whether this inconsistent team could play four good games. If so, they could have a chance.
I do not see them winning all three in LA which means needing another win in Edmonton. And getting wins in Edmonton will get more difficult the longer the series goes.

Back
Top Bottom