Kings vs Oilers Round 1

symbology

TEAM LGK
Thought I would start a thread for folks to share some thoughts on the series. One thing I thought of while watching Hiller's presser. Kings have Hiller and and not Todd. Todd seemed to not want to change things up during the previous series with Edmonton. Maybe this year we can consider the Kings have a better coach then they have had in the past? I see Hiller as a plus anyway.

Both teams improved on paper. Both had struggles this year. This is going to be an interesting series. Kings need to be stellar on the PK and actually score some critical PP goals.

Deep down I am not expecting much from the Kings, but here we are. I figure might as well be positive and hope for the best.

Go Kings!!!!!

I distinctly remember the feeling in 2012 going into Game 1 vs. Vancouver. It was far from optimistic. Can the Kings beat Edmonton? Why not?!
Anything can happen in the playoffs.

Last year I do not think Korpi was on his game. He was pretty bad at times, actually. Todd did not want to go with Copley and stuck with Korpi. Lets hope that Goaltending is not an issue for the Kings this time.

I think anything can happen once the second season starts. Who thought we would beat the stacked Redwings in 6? We took the Oilers to 7 games with a bunch of rookies, 6 games last season and we were in every game. Just depends which Jekyll Hyde Kings team shows up! Hopefully the road warriors at the beginning of the season. Go Kings Go!

Quick peak around social/traditional media after the game and I’d say well over 9 out of 10 are picking the Oilers to win in a short series.

Kings go into the series with almost zero pressure or expectations and the underdog, us against the world narrative firmly in tact. In a psychological matchup like this these little factors could matter.

If the Kings can steal game one it could sow some seeds of doubt.

Monday can’t get here quickly enough!

Reactions: FBJ
Kings' PK and goaltending are both far better than the last two post season matchups. And a better coach.

Reactions: FBJ
“So you’re telling me there’s a chance?”

I’m definitely not optimistic. This team doesn’t strike me the way the ‘12 or ‘14 teams did. In ‘11, we may have been playing the best hockey in the league until Kopi’s injury. There were some signs of the potential brewing.

Haven’t had any feeling near that since early December. Or is this team that good at the Rope-a-dope? I hope so. Would love to be proven wrong.

I’ve never been so pessimistic headed into a playoff series as this one

Quick peak around social/traditional media after the game and I’d say well over 9 out of 10 are picking the Oilers to win in a short series.

Kings go into the series with almost zero pressure or expectations and the underdog, us against the world narrative firmly in tact. In a psychological matchup like this these little factors could matter.

If the Kings can steal game one it could sow some seeds of doubt.

Monday can’t get here quickly enough!

Meh, kings are the rodney dangerfield of the NHL .. no respect ... haha i love being an underdog ... and i love to hate the oil .. so this is all just love for me .. haha

I’ve never been so pessimistic headed into a playoff series as this one
Buck up buddy ... haha i have zero reason, zero stats .. but i believe! take it game by game .. and lets crush those oiler fans hearts

If the Kings can somehow overcome the marked advantage the Oinkers...sorry, Oilers...have in physicality and find some consistency in consecutive performances, then, especially with Viktor Arvidsson coming into some really impressive form and the drive he adds to each shift he's out there, we may be able to sneak a vital away game which I agree will definitely as Statue4Deano says sow some seeds of doubt. I just hope Viktor can avoid injury and maintain his stellar momentum and that Arvidsson, Danault and Moore line continue to blossom...and, of course, score. I also feel a whole lot better with Mikey Anderson at the back.

I'd also prefer, as I would have preferred Pheonix Copley last year, David Rittich to start. I cannot believe he and Talbot are the same height. Rittich seems to be calmer, much bigger and plays more upright. He just seems to fill more of the net, while Talbot seems much smaller like, to me, JQ always did. Talbot didn't seem particularly sharp against the Blackhawks either.

With Mr. Hiller, I like his seemingly relaxed, technical style (I mean the way he presents...the language he uses...in his press-meeting analysis), but it feels to me that the team needs someone pushier and more dominant. Maybe we see only the persona, as Head Coach, he presents to the media, but as a person he seems far too philosophical about the unforgiveably offhand performances the team have served up lately, like the Wild and Ducks games, and that paying fans have had to endure. In my opinion, it's time also for PLD to prove to us doubters, both on the ice and, with less emphasis, the scoreboard, why he merits his multi-million dollar salary. I want to love the guy (purely platonically, of course, buddy) and I'm more than ready to have my gut proven wrong. Both me and my gut would welcome a large slice of humble pie for dessert. Like everyone here I just want Mr Dubois to play consistently up to the well above average level at which he was hired to play.

I realise that, as a purely amateur observer, I'm stating a well-trodden obvious when I say I always feel the first playoff game is a double edged sword for the home team. I'm actually not convinced, in my ignorance, that it isn't the visiting team in Game One that has the advantage. The Oilers may well have the home ice and the crowd, but with it comes massive responsibility and pressure and, irrespective of the regular season series, the payoffs...sorry, playoffs...are, as everyone knows, always a step up. In the first series, neither team, until Game One is concluded, can have any real sense of what kind of team they are truly going to be dealing with.

I hope on Monday night the Kings treat the first game as a payoff game, hit the ice skating and really take it to the Oilers right from the getgo. Add pressure to the pressure, I say. Let's take it from there and hope the officials are at the top of their game too and officiate fairly and squarely out there. Every game starts 0-0, so it's all to play for.

May the best team win....
(and the Oilers come second).

That first video thumbnail reminded me that we had over the hill Edler on the backend. Englund, will struggle against the fast paced oilers, but he is still an upgrade over "should have retired already" Edler.
Blake gets a lot of hate thrown at him but there’s no question Spence/Englund is a better 3rd unit than Durzi/Edler/Bjornfot.

The million dollar question will PLD, Laf, Lizzo, Lewis be an upgrade over Vilardi, Iafallo, Kupari and JAD?

And will Talbot play better than Korpisalo?

I guess we’ll find out Monday.

Formatted for 11x17:
NHLBracket_2024_Rnd1.jpg

Last edited:
I distinctly remember the feeling in 2012 going into Game 1 vs. Vancouver. It was far from optimistic. Can the Kings beat Edmonton? Why not?!

Yeah but that year we made fatty deadline trades and had a team of two time cup champs who didn't know it yet, how could we not win? And we got Vancouver who we wanted this year - not then really. And was Edmonton in any of the playoffs from 12-14? So many questions without answers. Third time's the charm. Better fkin be please? I feel the key will be rolling 4 lines and a PK.. I'm worried about both.

Ooh Monday is game #1 - I get my ever first root canal that day. Coincidence? Playoffs are fun but damn I'm up all night after a win since moving East Coast from the excitement lol.. if I'm up past 2-3 I can't sleep.. in keeping with the pessimism I needn't worry as we will lose in 3 :D

Last edited:
Was at Game 4 when the Kings were up 3-0 after the first period...then crapped the bed. Don't remind me.
The phantom call on Fiala had a lot to do with that.

Time to play playoff hockey. 1-3-1 them to death and choke out their speed. Keep the games close.

Gotta punish them. Their game is going to be to try and run us through the boards, we gotta do the same, and play especially hard on McJesus and Draisaitl.

We need one of the younger guys to take a leap.

Back
Top Bottom