Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33
  1. #21
    Hell yes. UnholyGoalie's Avatar




    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5,662
    Liked
    586 times
    Karma
    1086200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    115 Post(s)

    Default

    Just bought a sixer of SA Octoberfest. I'm not one for SA, but I'll give it a whirl. To keep up my street cred I bought a big bottle of Moylan's Winter brew.


    BTW, I tried the Kilt Lifter last week. Good goddam. Nearly floored me. Very good, but not a beer for the timid!

  2. #22
    Kings 1st Rnd pick in '25 Nicholls9's Avatar




    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,810
    Liked
    19 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeerMan View Post
    yeah, Fry's??

    I prefer SA's Boston Lager, Black Lager and Oktoberfest. that's it. although right now I have a case of SA Light. not bad, not that great, but wayyyyy better than Bud Lite.
    I have a case of Aquafina that is wayyy better than Bud Light.

  3. #23
    Inland Emperor Azagthoth's Avatar




    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    7,648
    Liked
    67 times
    Karma
    1011232
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

    Default

    The Boston Lager is pretty damn solid and is a step up from your typical Chili's/Applebee's type of generic draft selection if you are ever unfortunately stuck in one of those situations.

    I was so disappointed with this past summer's Summer Ale and found it to be what you might expect a bud light crossed with Widmer "hefeweizen" to taste like. I have no idea if it was an honest mistake with a new recipe with great intentions, or just all out cutting cost to produce a greater quantity with less care and thought going into it.

    The Winter Lager is my favorite Sam Adams offering, but this year's didn't seem quite as good as the last 2 winter releases. It didn't have quite the difference like the Summer Ale did, but something changed...... I'll definitely drink it again, but I'd prefer to try the Deschutes winter release or grab a few tall boys of the Yulesmith from Alesmith.... Hell, even Rogue's Santas Private Reserve is very good for an amber (a style I really don't care for).

  4. #24
    See disclosure notice




    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5,999
    Liked
    665 times
    Karma
    13515000
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    143 Post(s)

    Default

    Gordon-Biersch has two good beers: Maibock and Hef. Other than that... meh.

    I with the rest of you regarding the taste of Sam Adams. I was a big fan and have been passing it up to drink other suds. The Summer Ale and Winter Lager were the best a few years ago, but now they are just fair.

    Like Azgathothasarus stated, I too go for the bottle conditioned beers more and more. The mass produced beers are loosing their touch to deliver the wide flavor characteristics that we think they have.

    Don't get me wrong, I'm a beer slut. If Bud Light or Lucky Lager are the only things available I'll drink them. But if I had my way I would drink Kasteel, Gulden Draak, Chimay, Piraat and of course Arrogant Bastard.
    Disclosure Notice: The above listed post is that of a disgruntled hockey fan on the internet and in no way should be taken as truth or any substance. It does not reflect the views of the host website or its sponsors. If you are offended, please take a moment to reflect on what was written, and then ask yourself whether or not there should have been a “/sarcasm” next to the statement. If you feel the poster took the comment too far, write a letter to Santa. Maybe that will help.
    Now go away.

  5. #25
    Inland Emperor Azagthoth's Avatar




    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    7,648
    Liked
    67 times
    Karma
    1011232
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

    Default

    KJ

    I've had the Sam Adams Black Lager and it is pretty well crafted. Great for what it is, just not a personal preference of mine. I could enjoy a few in one sitting but that would probably be it. Definitely one of their best brews though.

  6. #26
    Inland Emperor Azagthoth's Avatar




    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    7,648
    Liked
    67 times
    Karma
    1011232
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daxx1313 View Post
    Like Azgathothasarus stated, I too go for the bottle conditioned beers more and more. The mass produced beers are loosing their touch to deliver the wide flavor characteristics that we think they have.

    Don't get me wrong, I'm a beer slut. If Bud Light or Lucky Lager are the only things available I'll drink them. But if I had my way I would drink Kasteel, Gulden Draak, Chimay, Piraat and of course Arrogant Bastard.
    You don't even necessarily have to jump for the bottle conditioned beers, as there are hundreds of non-bottle conditioned beers within reach that are much better than Sam Adams, and at a decent price.

    Chimay rules ! I haven't had Piraat yet, and the Gulden Draak Vintage Ale was decent but I wouldn't buy it again when you've got stuff like St. Bernardus and Rochefort on the same shelf. Arrogant Bastard is a classic, but I will always go for the Double Bastard first. Fortunately, Lone Hill Liquor carries it year round

  7. #27
    #SimianNation mitchrock's Avatar




    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    26,929
    Liked
    8137 times
    Karma
    2147483647
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    637 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Azagthoth View Post
    You don't even necessarily have to jump for the bottle conditioned beers, as there are hundreds of non-bottle conditioned beers within reach that are much better than Sam Adams, and at a decent price.

    Chimay rules ! I haven't had Piraat yet, and the Gulden Draak Vintage Ale was decent but I wouldn't buy it again when you've got stuff like St. Bernardus and Rochefort on the same shelf. Arrogant Bastard is a classic, but I will always go for the Double Bastard first. Fortunately, Lone Hill Liquor carries it year round
    Speaking of Arrogant Bastard, got a growler of it for my birthday and love it. Had a big mug of it during the Kings/Ducks game. Way better on tap than in the bottle.
    I AM THE STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

  8. #28
    Inland Emperor Azagthoth's Avatar




    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    7,648
    Liked
    67 times
    Karma
    1011232
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mitchrock View Post
    Speaking of Arrogant Bastard, got a growler of it for my birthday and love it. Had a big mug of it during the Kings/Ducks game. Way better on tap than in the bottle.
    I absolutely agree. I could put down 3 20oz Arrogant Bastards at the Heros Bar in Claremont as if it were a pale ale or ESB. I guess that comes with behind able to stomach some of the heavier Russian Imperial Stouts and how clean the brew comes out on tap.

    Ever had the Oaked AB on draft? That stuff is way too easy to drink

  9. #29
    Kings 1st Rnd pick in '25 Nicholls9's Avatar




    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,810
    Liked
    19 times
    Karma
    1000000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I saw some PIRAAT at Liquorama in Upland a few months back and bought a 4 pack ($6 a bottle). I though it was pretty darn good, but haven't had any since due to the price.

  10. #30
    Inland Emperor Azagthoth's Avatar




    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    7,648
    Liked
    67 times
    Karma
    1011232
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholls9 View Post
    I saw some PIRAAT at Liquorama in Upland a few months back and bought a 4 pack ($6 a bottle). I though it was pretty darn good, but haven't had any since due to the price.
    Here is a great and less expensive way to try all of those Belgian Ales that come in the 750 ml bottles for a good $15 or instead of one of those 4 pack deals.

    Most of them also come in an individual bottle around 12 oz for $3-$4 bucks. I know that all of the Chimays do, as well as the Piraat, Duvel, St. Bernardus, Orval, Achel, etc. What a great way to spend less $$ and find the ones that you really like before busting out anywhere from $15-$20 for a 750 ml Belgian Ale. Bev Mo and Lone Hill Liquor carry those small bottles for sure.
    Last edited by Azagthoth; November 18th, 2008 at 11:28 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28